(Millsboro) (June 14, 2021) — Once again the sun was shining, a light breeze was consistent all day, and predicted afternoon thunder storms held off for the Long Neck Sunrise Rotary Club’s 12th Annual Charity Golf Outing on Monday, June 14, 2021 held at The Peninsula on The Indian River Bay. The event was returning to its original June time slot, after having to delay the prior year’s tournament until October of 2020. Long Neck Sunrise Rotary Golf Committee members worked diligently to make sure that the outing did not slack off, and to everyone’s delight, the event was sold out with 136 golfers and a waiting list, and many local and regional Partners provided donations to make this outing the most profitable the Club has held. Proceeds exceeded expectations and prior year’e earnings at $28,528.58.
This charity golf tournament is the Club’s main fund-raising function, where all proceeds are used to support local organizations serving youth, veterans, adult literacy and programs to stem and care for victims of the opioid epidemic as well as Rotary’s Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
“We were simply overwhelmed by the response we received this year for our tournament,” noted Mike Hall, Chairperson of the Long Neck Sunrise Rotary Club Golf Committee. “We went into this knowing that many had been financially hurt by the pandemic, and yet, so many were able to help us raise the funds we use to support local and Rotary International initiatives. It is truly a testament to how we as a society recognize the need to help those less fortunate, and also shows how anxious folks were to get out and enjoy a day on a beautiful golf course.:
First Place Team and First Place Rotarian Team with a score of -17 for the “best ball” style tournament play included Justin Grossman, Steve Grossman, Wes Hood and John DiStefano. Other foursome winners included:
- Second Place Team at -15 was team of Bruce King, Scott Schockley, Joe Shockley and Frank Miller
- Third Place Team at -14 was team of David Patch, Erick Perez, Carl Schlesinger and Danny Gilseth
- Fourth Place Team at -14 was team of Joe Mongillo, John Murray, Andrew Hess, and Dave Ogle
- Fifth Place Team at -13 was team of John McCahan, Jack McCahan, Patrick McCahan, and Kevin McGill
- Sixth Place Team at -12 was team of Tom Law, Ken Hellings, John Berner and Tom Gargan
- Seventh Place Team at -12 was team of Lucille Cavan, Scott Cavan, Shaun Cavan, and Ryan Cavan
- Eighth Place Team at -12 was team of Max Hutsell, David Hutsell, Pat Wassmuth and Dave Jacobin
- Ninth Place Team at -11 was team of Don Zakrociemski, Stan Zakrociemski, Daniel Zakrociemski, and Chris Zakrociemski
- Need More Practice Team at +10 was team of Mark Moscowitz, Andy Chin, Travers Downs, and Gary Jones
All 10 of these teams were awarded complementary rounds of golf at golf courses across Delmarva.
On-course competitions include four “Holes in One“ sponsored by Terry Megee of Megee Motors with no winners this year. Other on-course winners include:
- Closest to the Pin Men — Rich Graves
- Closest to the Pin Women — Diane Karbonik
- Longest Drive Men — Andrew Michel
- Longest Drive Women — Trish Dieringer
- Straightest Drive Men — Bruce King
- Straightest Drive Women — Cathy Bassett
- Winner of Whiffle Ball Driving Contest — Danny Gilseth
- Winner of Pot O Gold hole #13 — Vincent Schettino
The day was capped by a plated and served gourmet dinner at the Peninsula.
Next year’s tournament is scheduled for June 13, 2022.
Pictured Above: Golf Committee Chair, Mike Hall (left) awards the First Place Rotary Team trophy and golf course certificate to overall First Place team winner representative, Wes Hood.